Recipe adapted from ThisIsHowICook.com
- 2 slice of good artisan bread
- 1 T butter
- 1/4 c finely chopped scallions
- 1-2 T mayonnaise
- 1/4 c shredded pepper jack
- 1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar
- 1-2 freshly roasted green chilies with skin and seeds removed
- 1 oz dried or cooked chorizo (optional)
- Pickled onions (optional)
- 2 T parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano
- In a skillet large enough to hold a sandwich, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chopped scallions and let cook on low while preparing the sandwich.
- Spread 1 T of mayonnaise on inside of both slices of bread. If you don't like mayo, don't do this.
- Place shredded pepper jack on top of the bread.
- Top with several good slices of hatch chile. Top with chorizo, if using.
- Add a few pickled onions if using.
- Top with shredded cheddar. Place on top slice of bread.
- Spread with mayo or melted butter.
- Sprinkle on 1 T of finely grated parmesan.
- Place that side in scallion butter and cook on medium low heat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Cover skillet with a piece of foil to help keep the heat in. Don't cover it tightly because you don't want your sandwich to steam.
- Now spread the side facing you with more mayo or butter and top with the other tablespoon of parmesan.
- Cook until this smells good. Then it should be about ready to flip.
- Flip and cook the other side for about 6-8 minutes.
- This should be ready to eat and have a crispy cheesy crust and that awesome taste of hatch chilies.
Makes 1 Sandwich