Recipe adapted from msmarmitelover.com. You can either bake it whole in the skin or do as I did in this recipe and slit the fat plantains lengthways down the center and bake in half skins for a nice caramelization!
- 2 large ripe plantains, slit lengthways in half, retaining the skins
- 100g of salted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsps of sweet chili sauce, or a few drops of a hotter chili sauce such as habanero
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Setup the EGG for Direct Cooking with the Cast Iron Searing Grid at 450°F.
- Prepare the plantains to your preference.
- Mix the butter with the chili sauce to the strength that you like.
- Place the plantains, skin side down, on the EGG and leave until they look cooked, about fifteen minutes. The skins will start to separate slightly and the plantain will become puffy.
- Then flip over the plantains and sear the cut open face. This aids in the caramelisation and makes it look super tasty!
- Remove from the BBQ and smear the chili butter over the hot plantain, sprinkle the coriander leaves and squeeze over some fresh lime juice.
- Eat with a fork while hot.
Share this BAKED PLANTAINS recipe with your friends!