Beef Lambington is a variation of Beef Wellington that uses lamb instead of the dough. Recipe courtesy of Eli Gur.
- 1 boneless lamb hind leg, 6 to 8 lbs. (2.7 to 3.6 kg)
- 2 to 3 lbs. (1 to 1.4 kg) beef tenderloin, trimmed of fat
- 4 ounces (115 g) butter
- 1 ladle of bourbon, brandy or cognac
- 8 bulbs (the white part) of spring onions, chopped
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, preferably fresh
- 4 ounces (115 g) mixed mushrooms (forest, champignon, shiitake, etc.), chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) 5-spices blend
- 1 tsp (5 ml) bee pollen
- Salt and freshly ground peppercorns to taste
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 350°F/177°C.
- Season the tenderloin with the ground pepper and, if it was not in a brine solution, salt. In a cast iron skillet, melt about half of the butter until brown but not burned. Add the tenderloin, turning it so that each side gets a nice brown crust. Carefully add the bourbon/brandy/cognac, and light with a long match to create a flambé. Once the alcohol has burned off, move the tenderloin around the pan to absorb the flavor. Remove the tenderloin and set aside to cool.
- Add the onions and kaffir lime leaves to the skillet. When the spring onions are near translucent remove the kaffir lime leaves and add the mushrooms, 5-spices blend, bee pollen and the remainder of the butter. Continue stirring until the mushrooms are tender. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Spread the boneless lamb hind leg on the counter, internal side facing you. Add a medium-thick layer of the onion/mushroom filling on the lamb leg, to completely cover the meat. Place the beef tenderloin over the filling. Roll the lamb leg over the tenderloin so that the tenderloin is in the center. Tie the rolled lamb leg with butcher’s twine.
- Add the convEGGtor for indirect cooking and reduce the temperature of the EGG to 225°F/107°C. Place the rolled lamb leg in the middle of the grid and smoke for about 3 hours, until the internal temperature of the lamb is 140°F/60°C and the tenderloin is 132°F/55°C.
- Carefully remove the convEGGtor and raise the EGG temperature to 400F/204C. Add the lambington to the grid and cook for 2-3 minutes per side for a delicious external crust and extra flavor. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Brining Solution Ingredients
- 1 gallon (4 L) water
- 1 cup (240 ml) kosher salt
Brining Solution Instructions
- Put the lamb in the brine solution for 48 hours, then rinse well in cold water and pat dry.