BEER CAN (shandy) CHICKEN
The twist in this recipe is that we use a shandy-style beer. The refreshing sweet citrus taste of the shandy is a real treat! While the chicken is cooking, the beer in the can evaporates, keeping the chicken tender and juicy inside, which is primarily for the sake of the breast meat, which cooks quicker than the leg meat. The great thing about this recipe is that you only need half a can, so make sure the beer is nice and cold!
- 1 whole chicken
- olive oil
- 1 can of shandy (your choice) half-full
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
FOR THE RUB:
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 heaped tbsp paprika powder
- 3 full tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 heaped tsp onion powder
- 1 heaped tsp cumin powder
- 1 heaped tsp garlic powder
- 1 heaped tsp chili powder
- Ignite your Big Green Egg and put the convEGGtor in with its legs facing upwards, close the lid and heat up to 350°F.
- Meanwhile mix together all the ingredients for the rub.
- Carefully lift the skin away from the chicken meat by sliding your fingers under the skin and moving them from left to right. Spread some of the rub between the skin and the meat and rub it in well. Also spread some rub into the cavity of the chicken.
- Then thoroughly rub olive oil into the skin, then spread rub onto the skin until it is completely covered.
- Fix the half-full can of shandy into the Folding Stainless Beer Can Chicken Roaster and put the chicken over it. Put in the Round Drip Pan and place in the middle of the convEGGtor. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the beer can chicken for 60 to 70 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 170°F.
- Remove the Drip Pan from the EGG using the Pit Mitt BBQ Glove and grate some lime and lemon zest over the bird before serving.
Share this BEER CAN (shandy) CHICKEN recipe with your friends!