CANDIED SWEET POTATOES
These sweet potatoes are baked in the EGG, then peeled, sliced and layered in a baking dish. Enhanced with orange juice, brown sugar and corn syrup, they’re topped with thin orange slices, then returned to the EGG and baked until wonderfully caramelized. They are sure to get rave reviews.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1½ cups plus 2 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 navel orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 400°F/204°C.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn the potatoes, close the lid of the EGG and continue cooking for 7 to 8 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork. Remove the potatoes from the EGG and cool completely.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into ¼ inch-thick rounds. Lay the potatoes in the baking dish. Sprinkle 1½ cups of the brown sugar evenly over the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with the orange juice and 1 cup of the corn syrup and dot with the butter. Place the orange slices on the sweet potatoes, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons corn syrup on the orange slices, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Place the baking dish on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake for 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
Share this CANDIED SWEET POTATOES recipe with your friends!