CHEF COX'S SMOKED MEATLOAF
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion, small diced
- 2 stalks celery, small diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons, Worchestershire sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ cup ketchup
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 350°F/177°C.
- On low heat cook the onions, carrot, and celery until translucent about 15 minutes and add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until very fragrant and take off the heat.
- Mix the Ground Beef in a mixer with a paddle attachment and add the mirepoix and one egg at a time until all eggs are in. Next add wine, herbs, and seasoning except for the ketchup.
- Make a small patty and cook off to ensure proper seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Rub a loaf pan with butter and place meat inside. Before putting on Big Green Egg, add a handful of Big Green Egg Apple Smoking Chips.
- Cook meatloaf for 20 minutes.
- Take the meatloaf out and spread the ketchup on top, add another handful of chips and smoke for an additional 10 minutes the sugars in the ketchup will help the smoke stick to the meatloaf.
- Cook until 155°F/69°C internal temperature.