DOUBLE SMOKED POTATOES
One of Steven Raichlen’s Signature Recipes for the Big Green Egg.
- 4 large baking potatoes (12 to 14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Stuffing Ingredients
- 4 strips artisanal bacon, cut crosswise into ¼ inch slivers
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Pimenton (smoked paprika) for sprinkling
- Set up your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor, add a few chunks of hardwood to generate smoke, and preheat to 400°F/204°C.
- Scrub the potatoes well with a vegetable brush. Blot dry. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork. Brush the outside of the potato with melted butter and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on the EGG grid. Smoke/roast until the potatoes are tender in the center (they’ll be easy to pierce with a bamboo skewer), 1 to 11⁄2 hours. In the meantime, fry and drain the bacon in a skillet on the stovetop. Set aside.
- Transfer the potatoes to a cutting board. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. While the potatoes are still quite hot, scrape out most of the potato flesh, leaving a 1⁄4 inch thick shell. Coarsely mash the potato flesh (it should still be chunky) and place in a mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in the bacon, 3 tablespoons butter, the scallions, and the cheese. Stir in the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the potato mixture back into the potato skins, mounding it in the center. Top each potato with a thin slice of butter and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
- Just before serving, reheat the potatoes in a preheated 400°F/204°C EGG until browned and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes, or as needed.
- Makes 8 potato halves.