DURUM BREAD w/ CRANBERRIES & NUTS
This is a durum flour based recipe, a type of flour made from durum wheat, which is also used to make pasta. And since you’re in control when baking the bread, you can add some cranberries and crispy roasted nuts. The result will be a delicious nut bread on your Big Green Egg.
- 7 oz (200 g) hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 7 oz (200 g) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 6½ cups (800 g) durum flour + extra for dusting
- 5 tsp (16 g) dry yeast
- 5½ Tbsp (80 g) butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2¼ cups (532 ml) water
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) sea salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 7 oz (200 g) cranberries
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 400°F/204°C.
- Spread the coarsely chopped nuts into a Cast Iron Skillet and roast the nuts for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown, stirring them halfway. Remove from the EGG and cool the nuts fully. Add the convEGGtor and a Pizza & Baking Stone and raise the EGG temperature to 450°F/232°C.
- Mix the flour, yeast, butter, lemon zest and water in a food processor, using a dough hook (or knead by hand). Add the sea salt after a few minutes. The dough is ready when you have a thin and transparent outer layer that will not easily tear. Then add the olive oil, cranberries and roasted nuts and continue to knead until completely mixed.
- Shape the dough into a ball by folding the sides downwards and under creating a nice round loaf. Sprinkle a Dough Rolling Mat with flour and place the dough ball on the Mat. Cover it with a flour sprinkled tea towel (with the flour side on the dough) and cover with foil. Allow to rise for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Press the air from the dough, fold it once and again fold the sides downwards and under. Again, place the dough on the tea cloth, cover as above and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Score the dough crosswise with a sharp blade to prevent the bread from tearing during baking. Sprinkle the Pizza & Baking Stone with flour and place the dough on it. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread for about 1 hour until golden brown.
- Check if the bread is done by sticking a metal skewer into it. It should come out dry. Remove the bread from the EGG and leave to cool.