FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Recipe adapted from myAJC.com
- 1½ loaves challah bread (or substitute with 24 Hawaiian rolls), cubed into big pieces
- 7 eggs
- 2½ cups milk
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
For the compote:
- 6 ripe persimmons, diced into ¼-inch cubes
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup crispy bacon bits
- Prepare the Big Green Egg for indirect cooking, using the ConvEGGtor, and stabilize at 375 degrees.
- Grease a Big Green Egg two-handled skillet, or a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish, and place cubed bread into it, filling the skillet or dish entirely.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread and cover. Let soak at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- To make the topping, combine the butter, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse until combined into a crumble. Add the topping evenly over the bread and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with syrup or persimmon compote.
FOR THE COMPOTE
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the persimmons, vinegar, honey, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Stir it into the saucepan. Reduce to low heat and let cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in crispy bacon. Ladle over French Toast Casserole and serve.
Share this FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE recipe with your friends!