GRILLED OYSTERS w/ THAI DRESSING
Do you love oysters? Then you really need to try these deliciously grilled oysters from the Big Green Egg. The combination of the taste of the salty oyster, the dressing and the flavor of the Big Green Egg is truly amazing! A delicious luxurious snack that you can make in no time. You don’t have to grill the spring onions for the Thai dressing, but this will add more flavor to the dressing.
- 10 oysters
- 500 g coarse sea salt
- 5 spring onions
- 1 red chili pepper
- 3 cm fresh ginger
- 5 tbsp soy sauce (Kikkoman less salt)
- 1 unsprayed lime
Preparation In Advance
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Place the spring onions on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and grill them for approx. 3 minutes. Remove from the EGG, let cool slightly and cut into thin rings. Halve the chili pepper, remove the stalk and the seeds and finely cut the flesh. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Put all these ingredients in a bowl along with the soy sauce. Grate the lemon zest above the bowl, halve the lemon and squeeze out the juice over it.
- Prepare a plate with sea salt. Shuck the oysters by inserting an oyster knife at the back hinge between the shell halves. Cut the hinge loose by moving your oyster knife back and forth horizontally. Don’t pry, this will create grit. Pass the knife between the backside. Then hold your knife diagonally upwards and move it towards the scallop (sphincter) on the right side of the oyster. Cut the scallop and remove the upper shell half. Place the lower shell half with the oyster in it on the sea salt. This will keep them stable.
- Scoop about 3 teaspoons of the dressing over each oyster. Put the oysters in the lower shell half on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the oysters for about 3 minutes. Pour the sea salt into a nice dish.
- Remove the oysters from the EGG and put them on the sea salt.