GRILLED ROMAINE WEDGE SALADS with BLUE CHEESE VINAIGRETTE
Have you ever had grilled lettuce before? It seems counter-intuitive and odd, but it totally works. You get some charred and slightly wilted pieces in addition to crisp and juicy pieces for a really awesome textural contrast.
Recipe adapted from ColeyCooks.com
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing lettuce
- 4 ounces tangy blue cheese, such as Maytag
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, outer leaves trimmed and quartered lengthwise OR two smaller heads of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 8 strips of thick sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Set the EGG for direct cooking, without the convEGGtor and stabilize at 400°F/204°C.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar, honey, chives, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking, then continue whisking until it's emulsified. Crumble in the blue cheese and stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Rinse romaine and cut in half lengthwise, leaving the base of the romaine to hold leaves together while grilling.
- Drizzle the inside of the romaine with olive oil then lightly sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper.
- Grill the romaine cut side down for about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lettuce from the grill and transfer to plates.
- Divide the blue cheese vinaigrette evenly among the wedges, then top with bacon bits and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with more chives if desired. Serve immediately.
Share this GRILLED ROMAINE WEDGE SALADS with BLUE CHEESE VINAIGRETTE recipe with your friends!