GROWN UP GRILLED CHEESE
This zesty cheese combo takes grilled cheese to a whole new level. Caramelized onions add extra zest plus a note of sweetness.
Recipe courtesy of Nature’s Own Bread. For more information, visit naturesownbread.com.
- 8 slices Nature’s Own Premium Specialty 12-Grain Bread
- 1 sweet onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 oz)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
- Set EGG for indirect cooking at 350°F.
- Cook onion in 1⁄2 tablespoon of the butter and the oil in large nonstick skillet until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar and cook until browned and very tender, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine cheese; mix well. Spoon and spread cheese mixture on 4 bread slices. Top with onions and remaining 4 bread slices.
- Heat Half Moon Griddle, or wipe out skillet and heat EGG to 300°F/149°C.
- Lightly butter tops of sandwiches with half of the remaining butter. Place butter side down on griddle; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Butter tops of sandwiches and turn to toast other side, 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 4 servings