Quesadilla Stack with Ancho Chile & Coffee Seasoning grilled on the Big Green Egg.
Recipe courtesy of Taylor Shulman, Big Green Egg Culinary Center
- 1 lb. 16/20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lbs. skinless chicken thighs*
- 2 lbs. skirt steak
- Big Green Egg Ancho Chile & Coffee Seasoning
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 4 poblano peppers, seeded and deveined
- 12 tortillas (if you can find uncooked tortillas opt for those)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set the EGG up for direct cooking at 375°F/191°C.
- Place the potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with salted water. Place on the cooking grid and bring to a boil; cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Liberally sprinkle Ancho Chile & Coffee Seasoning on all sides of the chicken. While the potatoes are cooking, add the chicken thighs and cook for 10 minutes per side, or until a 165°F internal temperature is reached. Set aside and allow to cool, then shred. Strain and mash the potatoes in a bowl with the garlic and butter until they are smooth; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise the EGG temperature to 550°F. Place the whole poblanos on the grate and roast them until the outside is blistered and charred, place them into a ziplock bag and let them rest for about 5 minutes. When cooled, using a paring knife, butterfly the peppers, remove the seeds and veins and scrape the char off of the skin.
- Liberally sprinkle Ancho Chile & Coffee Seasoning on the shrimp and the steak. Preheat a Big Green Egg Cast Iron Skillet. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Place the skirt steak on the grid and add the shrimp to the skillet and cook both for 2 minutes; turn and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp and steak from the EGG.
- Place the tortillas on the grill until they are puffed and golden brown, but be careful not to overcook them, they should still be soft. Layout 4 tortillas and place a pepper on each, followed by a layer of the mashed potatoes. Add the second tortilla over the potatoes and then put down slices of the steak, chicken, and shrimp. Add cheese, then finish the stack with a final tortilla. Cut into wedges and serve.