ROSEMARY YEAST ROLLS
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (60 ml) warm water 110°F/43°C
- 1 cup (240 ml) + 1 tsp (5 ml) milk
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) unsalted butter
- 2½ (600 ml) cups all-purpose flour, divided, or as needed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced fresh rosemary leaves
- ½ cup (120 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 egg
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Set aside in a warm place until the yeast softens, about 15 minutes. Combine 1 cup milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until butter is melted; remove the pan from heat. Combine 2 cups flour, yeast mixture, honey, 1 tsp salt, rosemary and milk/butter mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook; mix on low until no dry spots remain. Stir in ½ cup flour, 3 tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Continue adding flour until firm dough forms. Knead on medium until elastic and soft but still tacky, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer dough to a clean bowl and coat with olive oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 375°F/190°C.
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 375°F/190°C.
- Lightly coat a Deep Dish Baking Stone with oil. Transfer dough to a work surface and shape to about 1 inch thick. Cut into 36 equally-sized pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Lightly beat the egg with 1 teaspoon milk in a small bowl.
- Transfer 18 dough balls to the prepared Deep Dish Stone, placing them close together but not touching. Brush tops lightly with half of the egg mixture and sprinkle with sea salt. Place remaining dough balls on parchment. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake the first batch in the preheated EGG until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the rolls from the stone to cool. Add remaining dough balls to the stone and cook about 20 minutes.