RUSTIC PEACH GALETTE
Recipe adapted from Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons by Andrea Bemis.
- 1½ lbs (680 g) small ripe peaches, peels left on, quartered and pitted
- ¼ cup + 4 tbsp (120 ml) honey, divided
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) almonds
- 1 cup (240 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (3 ml) fine sea salt
- 7 tbsp (105 ml) chilled, unsalted butter cut into ½ in chunks
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 1½ cups (360 ml) plain yogurt
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 400°F/204°C.
- Prepare the filling: Cut three sheets of parchment paper slightly smaller than the size of a Baking Stone and lay one on the stone.
- Arrange the peaches, skin side down, on the parchment; drizzle with honey. Roast until the peaches are tender and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Flip the peaches, then continue roasting until they are very tender, about 12 more minutes.
- Set the Baking Stone and the peaches aside to cool.
- Make the crust: Coarsely chop the almonds in a food processor; transfer to a bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the processor and pulse a few times.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the egg yolk and blend until moist clumps form.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Let the dough stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll out the dough disk in between the two remaining floured sheets of parchment to a 10 inch (25 cm) round.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment and set it aside. Sprinkle the dough evenly with ½ of the chopped almonds. Replace the parchment atop the crust and roll it to an 11 inch (28 cm) round, embedding the nuts in the dough.
- Reduce the temperature of the EGG to 375°F/191°C.
- Invert the crust and parchment onto a Baking Stone, nut side down.
- Remove the parchment that is now on top and arrange the peaches over the center, alternating skin up and skin down; leaving a 1½ to 2 inch (4 to 5 cm) border.
- Using the parchment as an aid, fold the outer edge of the crust over the peaches.
- Sprinkle the crust with the thyme and 2 tablespoons honey and the remainder of the chopped almonds.
- Brush the egg white over the crust.
- Add the Stone to the EGG and bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes, cool for 20 minutes.
- Mix the yogurt and honey in a bowl.
- Cut the galette into wedges and serve with the honey yogurt.
Share this RUSTIC PEACH GALETTE recipe with your friends!