- (8) small onions, peeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb spicy pork sausage
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 shallots, cut into chunks
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 375°F.
- Add 2 quarts water to a dutch oven and place on the cooking grid. When the water comes to a boil, add the onion and cook for about 15 minutes until tender; remove from the water and cool.
- Cut off the tops and hollow out the onions, leaving 2 outer layers intact. Finely chop 1/2 cup of the scooped out centers.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add sausage, 2 cloves garlic, salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, oregano, and red pepper.
- Cook until browned; remove from the skillet and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, panko, remaining black pepper, and oregano; stir in melted butter.
- In the skillet, combine the broth, wine, shallots, remaining garlic, and 1 sprig thyme.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into hollowed out onions and add to the skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes then sprinkle with the panko/cheese mixture.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Garnish with thyme and serve!
Share this SAUSAGE-STUFFED ONIONS recipe with your friends!