SCALLOPS, ASPARAGUS, AND ARTICHOKE GRATIN
Championship recipe for the "Anything but Meat" appetizer at the 2017 Rock'n Ribs BBQ Festival!!!
- 1½ lbs U10 sea scallops
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups shaved parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and blanched
- 2 (15 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 400°F/204°C.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a Big Green Egg Cast Iron Skillet; add scallops and cook until almost opaque and slightly browned, turning once. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the remaining butter and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in flour, cook for one minute. Gradually stir in milk and cream; cook 3 to 4 minutes until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest and red pepper.
- Add asparagus and artichokes, stirring to coat; cook 10 minutes. Add scallops, top with bread crumbs and bacon; cook 3 to 5 minutes more.
Makes 6 servings
Share this SCALLOPS, ASPARAGUS, AND ARTICHOKE GRATIN recipe with your friends!