SMOKED BEEF BIRRIA
Recipe courtesy of Claudette Zepeda-Wilkins from the 2018 Big Green Egg LifeStyle Magazine available for FREE at Outdoor Home!
- 8lbs beef short ribs
- 8 guajillo chiles
- 5 ancho chiles
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 oz ginger
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- Set your EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350°F.
- In a Dutch oven, cook chiles, garlic, ginger and onions in a pot with water, until chiles are tender.
- Drain the water and process the mixture together with the rest of the adobo ingredients.
- Clean the short ribs and marinate in 1/2 of adobo mix for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the marinade; add to the grid and smoke for 4 hours.
- Move the beef ribs to the Dutch oven and cover with the remaining adobo; move the Dutch oven to the EGG and cook for an additional 4 hours.
- Enjoy with optional minced onion, cilantro, and limes accompanied by tortillas!.
Share this SMOKED BEEF BIRRIA recipe with your friends!