SMOKED BOURBON CHILI
Recipe courtesy of Ricky Woolstenhulme, part of #BGETeamGreen.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 2 lbs. ground sirloin
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 10 oz can rotel tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can chili beans
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp Big Green Egg Ancho Chili & Coffee seasoning
- 2 Tb Tabasco® Sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried ancho chili peppers to float on top
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350°F/177°C with 3 chunks of wood of your preference.
- Place cast iron Dutch oven on the EGG and add olive oil. Let it heat up for a few minutes. Add the ground sirloin and sausage and stir to break the meat up into small pieces. Cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from the EGG, drain the meat, and set aside.
- Return the Dutch oven to the EGG, add 2 more tbsp of olive oil and sauté onions, green and red peppers, jalapeños and serrano peppers for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and the meat. Cook, uncovered, for about 2-3 hours
- Remove bay leaves and dried chiles before serving.
Note: If you do not like it spicy, omit or limit the amount of jalapeno and serrano chiles.
Share this SMOKED BOURBON CHILI recipe with your friends!