SMOKED SPANISH MEATBALLS
Recipe courtesy of melissacookston.com
When you're looking for an awesome appetizer, give these Smoked Spanish Meatballs a try! With ground pork and chorizo, these pack a lot of flavor in a small package, whether smoked or not.
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground chorizo
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 2 TBS onion minced
- 2 TBS Italian parsley chopped fine
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 TBS piquillo peppers (jarred) diced
- 2 TBS Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 TBS green onions chopped, for garnish
- Set your Big Green Egg to run at 300°F with a couple of chunks of your favorite wood.
- For the Meatballs
- Mix eggs and milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add pork, chorizo, garlic, onion, parsley, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and paprika. Mix well. Add milk and eggs and mix.
- Moisten your hands and form into meatballs approximately 1" in diameter. After rolling, place on the cooking grid.
- Allow to cook for 1 hour, rotating rack after 30 minutes, or until internal meatball temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Place meatballs in an aluminum "half pan" and add sauce, allowing to cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from cooker and serve.
For the Sauce
- Add olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat, then add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until garlic starts to get golden.
- Add tomatoes, piquillo peppers, salt, chipotle powder, sugar and paprika and bring to a low boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then using an immersion blender, pulse to smooth out the sauce (I don't want it completely smooth.)
- You may also use a regular blender or food processor for this.
- Set sauce aside until meatballs are ready to put in pan.