SMOKEY THAI PULLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 package of Hamburger Buns
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- Quick pickled carrots (recipe below) Make while chicken thighs are cooking
Brine for Chicken Thighs
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbs pure cane sugar
- juice of one lime
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1-2 hot peppers (Thai bird or Serrano)
- 2 cloves of garlic
Dry Rub for Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbs pure cane sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
Sauce for Chicken Thighs
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce (add while mixing, do not heat)
- Whisk together ingredients for the brine. Add the chicken thighs, making sure they are fully covered. Place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- About a half hour before you are ready to grill. Fire up your Big Green Egg®. Once coals are hot, damper down to just a crack on both top and bottom. We are looking for a temperature around 280 degrees.
- Whisk together the dry rub ingredients. Remove the chicken thighs from brine, and pat dry. Discard brine. Generously coat the chicken with dry rub.
- Place chicken thighs in the EGG. Cook for 1½ hours, flipping once after about 50 minutes. Check temperature occasionally to make sure you are not gout over a maximum of 325 degrees, damper more narrowly to reduce temperature closer to 280 degrees.
- Prepare the Quick Pickled Carrots while the chicken is grilling (recipe below).
- When chicken thighs are removed from the grill, set aside to rest and cool a little, then pull the chicken (discard any fatty bits). Mix in chopped fresh cilantro.
- Mix sauce ingredients (except fish sauce) in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce to a simmer. Allow to gently bubble for 2 minutes, then shut off and pour over the pulled chicken. Mix. Add fish sauce and mix again.
- Place some of the pickled matchstick carrots on the bottom half of each Cobblestone Bread Co.™ Sesame Twist Hamburger Roll. Top with a generous helping of the Thai pulled chicken (squirt on a bit of sriracha sauce if you like) and cover with top of the roll.
Share this SMOKEY THAI PULLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES recipe with your friends!