STRAWBERRY POUND CAKE
This is the perfect dessert to make when strawberries and raspberries are fresh and plentiful. This pound cake is particularly moist because of the addition of yogurt to the recipe. The coulis is a thick strained fruit sauce and joins the macerated berries on top of the cake. The coulis is also delightful served over ice cream with fresh berries.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 325°F/177°C.
- To make the pound cake, in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, with the mixer on low. Blend until the eggs are completely incorporated. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. With the mixer on low, add the yogurt and the flour mixture, alternately, until both are completely incorporated. Add the vanilla and continue mixing for 15 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place the cooking grid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To assemble, place a slice of cake on each plate. Top with the macerated strawberries and raspberries, spoon the coulis over the berries and top with the whipped cream.
Serves 6 to 8
Strawberry-Raspberry Coulis Ingredients
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Strawberry-Raspberry Coulis Instructions
- To make the coulis, using a small paring knife, quarter the strawberries and place them in a small bowl with the raspberries.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice. Using a spoon, toss the strawberries and raspberries in the sugar.
- Place half of the strawberries and raspberries in the bowl of a blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade and refrigerate the other half.
- Puree the berries in the blender for 3 minutes on high. Strain the coulis into a small bowl.
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Instructions
- To make the whipped cream, using a whisk or electric mixer, beat the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Share this STRAWBERRY POUND CAKE recipe with your friends!