TURKISH PIZZA WITH RED HOT SPICED LAMB AND TOMATOES
Recipe courtesy of Joanne Weir. For more information on Joanne, visit joanneweir.com.
- 4 ounces (115 g) fontina, coarsely grated
- 2 ounces (57 g) mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb (230 g) pound ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) peeled, seeded and chopped plum tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) pine nuts, toasted
- large pinch ground cinnamon
- large pinch ground allspice
- large pinch cloves
- 1⁄8 tsp (1 ml) crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) lemon juice
- 1 recipe Weir’s Dough for Pizza
- Using a convEGGtor, set the EGG for indirect cooking at 500°F/260°C. Add a Pizza & Baking Stone to preheat.
- Grate the two cheeses and combine. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic and let sit 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and sauté onions until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the lamb, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, pine nuts, spices, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper and cook slowly, uncovered 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- On a Dough Rolling Mat, halve the dough and roll out two 1⁄4 inch (6 mm) thick rounds; transfer one to a heavily floured Pizza Peel. Brush the dough with the garlic oil. Sprinkle half of the combined cheeses on top and then half of the spiced lamb mixture. Transfer the pizza onto the stone and bake until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat for second pizza.
Makes two 9 inch pizzas.
Share this TURKISH PIZZA WITH RED HOT SPICED LAMB AND TOMATOES recipe with your friends!