ASIAN-STYLE CRISPY PORK BELLY
For this BBQ pork belly recipe, we first let the meat marinate for 24 hours, which gives it a delicious Asian flavor. To get it nice and crispy it is important to buy pork belly with rind. The rind becomes nice and crispy because the pork belly is cooked at a relatively high temperature. The structure resembles traditional crispy Chinese pork belly, but with a different flavor profile.
- A 3-4lb piece of pork belly with rind
- 2 onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1.5in fresh ginger
- 2 red chili peppers
- 3 unsprayed limes
- 6 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
For the marinade, peel and chop the onions. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Halve the chilies lengthwise, remove the stalks and seeds and finely chop the flesh. Finely zest the limes, halve the fruits and squeeze out the juice. Mix together all ingredients for the marinade.
Place the pork belly with the rind facing down in the Rectangular Drip Pan and cover generously with the marinade. Pat the unmarinated rind dry with paper towel and leave to marinate uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Remove the pork belly from the fridge. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat the EGG, with the convEGGtor, to 275°F.
- Place a Disposable Drip Pan on the convEGGtor and place the grid inside the EGG. Place the pork belly on top with the rind facing up. Close the lid of the EGG and leave the pork belly to cook for about 1.5 hours until it has reached a core temperature of at least 190°F. You can measure the temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer. If the core temperature not yet been reached, leave the pork belly to cook a little longer.
- Remove the pork belly from the EGG and place it on a carving board. Loosely cover the pork belly with aluminum foil and leave to rest for approx. 10 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and place the pork belly on the carving board with the rind facing down (if it is not already). The pork belly is difficult to carve with the crispy side facing up. Carve the pork belly into nice slices and serve with a garnish of your choice.