Smoked Chicken Thighs with Sorghum-Chile Glaze
“Sorgum—you can think of it as the South’s maple syrup—is sweet yet earthy with a touch of spice that a dash of chile de arbol brings to the forefront. If you can’t find it, a combination of honey and molasses will do the trick.” -Bobby Flay
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chile de árbol powder
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Sorghum-Chile Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1 cup apple or hickory wood chips
- To make the brine, bring 4 cups cold water, 1⁄2 cup of the salt, and the sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook until the salt and sugar are dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Put the chicken thighs in a bowl, add the cooled brine, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. Remove from the brine, rinse well, and pat dry.
- Combine all of the spices and the oil in a small bowl. Rub each chicken thigh with some of the spice rub, put in a zip top bag, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Soak 1 cup apple or hickory wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking (with convEGGtor) at 250°F/121°C. Place half of the drained wood chips over the hot coals, add the cooking grid, and close the dome. Let smoke build for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the smoker grid and smoke for 40 minutes. Add the remaining drained wood chips and continue to smoke the chicken until the temperature reaches 165°F/74°C, about 1 hour more. During the last 15 minutes of smoking, brush the thighs with some of the glaze.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve brushed with more of the glaze and sprinkled with ancho powder.
- Serves 4 to 6
Sorghum-Chile Glaze Ingredients
- 3⁄4 cup sorghum
- 1 teaspoon chile de árbol powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sorghum-Chile Glaze Instructions
- Whisk together the sorghum and chile de arbol; season with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Makes 3⁄4 cup
Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction. Copyright ©2013 by Boy Meets Grill, Inc. Photographs by Quentin Bacon. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House. For more of Bobby’s recipes, visit his website bobbyflay.com.