CHORIZO AND SHRIMP FUNDIDO
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped, dried (cured) chorizo
- 1 pound (26-30 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 green onions, white and firm green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pound Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- Paprika, for dusting
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Prepare the Egg to cook indirect with a drip pan at 375 degrees with applewood added for smoke flavor. Place a cast-iron Dutch oven in the Egg to preheat for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil to the Dutch oven and heat for 3 minutes. Add the chorizo, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, stir and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp begin to turn opaque.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, chile and all but a small spoonful of the green parts of the green onions. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the top, stir well and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, until the flour is fully incorporated and everything is hot. Add the milk, stir well and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and begins to thicken. Add the cheese, stir to mix and cook for 3 minutes. Stir again to blend the cheese into the sauce, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir once again until mixed well, sprinkle the top with a light dusting of paprika and cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Garnish with the reserved green onions and serve with tortilla chips.