GRILLED STEELHEAD TROUT
Steelhead trout is similar to salmon in its color and texture and is a great choice to cook on your Big Green Egg. The convection heat that radiates within the dome caramelizes the fish nicely and the fennel gives it a fresh, sweet, licorice flavor.
- (2) 1lb steelhead trout filets, skin on, pin bones pulled
- 1 meyer lemon (cut in half at equator)
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp wild fennel pollen
- 1tsp ground espelette pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch fennel fronds and stems
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 350°F with a cast iron grid, flat side up.
- Squeeze one side of the lemon onto the two filets.
- Season the filets with salt, fennel pollen, and espelette pepper.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the filets and gently massage to work into the flesh.
- Slice the remaining lemon half and lay over the steelhead.
- Place the fennel directly on the cooking grid. Put the steelhead, skin down, on the fennel.
- Close the dome and let the fish cook for 7-8 minutes. T
- he fish is done when the flesh has turned a pale pink and flakes to the touch.