WHOLEMEAL TEAR BREAD
Enjoying a tear bread is what you do together as it is the ideal bread for sharing. Serve the freshly baked bread during a party, or with some spreads when serving an aperitif. Or just as part of a meal. You will pleasantly surprise your guests when baking it in the Big Green Egg because the flavor of bread that was freshly baked in the Big Green Egg is simply unique!
For 1 tear bread
Advance preparation time: 50 minutes, excluding 3 hours for rising
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1/2 Tbsp dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- flour, for dusting
For the decoration:
- line seed
- white sesame seed
- poppy seed
- Mix the wholemeal flour, the yeast, and the water in a food processor, using a dough hook (or knead by hand). Add the sea salt after a few minutes. Check if a consistent dough has formed and if the dough has achieved a temperature of 25°C using the Instant Read Digital Thermometer. Is the temperature of the dough lower? Then continue kneading for a bit longer. Add the olive oil and knead until well mixed.
- Place the dough on the counter in a flour-sprinkled cloth for rising. Another option is to place it between two clean flour sprinkled tea cloths and cover with foil. Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Press the air from the dough and divide it into 20 equal pieces. Shape the pieces into balls by folding the sides downwards and under. Again, place the dough balls in a flour-sprinkled cloth and allow to rise for another 30 minutes. Make sure there is sufficient space between the balls.
- Pour the seeds for decoration in separate bowls and have a bowl of water at the ready. Press the air from the dough balls and again shape them into balls by folding the sides downwards and under. Dip the top of a dough ball in the water and then in one of the seed bowls. Decorate five balls with line seed, five with sesame seed and five with the poppy seed as described above. Do not decorate the last 5 balls. Place the dough balls on a flour-sprinkled cloth for rising and fold the cloth over them. Allow the dough to rise for 2 hours.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg approximately 20 minutes before the end of the rise time. Then heat it, with the ConvEGGtor and the grid with the Flat Baking Stone on it, to a temperature of 230°C.
- Sprinkle the Cast Iron Skillet with flour and place the dough balls in it touching each other. Make sure to alternate the types of decoration. Place the Cast Iron Skillet on the Flat Baking stone, close the lid of the EGG and bake the tear bread for about 35 minutes until golden brown and done.
- Remove the Cast Iron Skillet from the EGG using the EGGmitt. Remove the tear bread and allow to cool somewhat before serving it.