Big Beef Stew on the Big Green Egg
Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350°F/177°C.
Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the cast iron skillet and sear half of the beef on all sides until nicely browned. Transfer the browned meat to a plate and set aside. Repeat this process for the second half of the beef. Leave the brown bits in the skillet.
Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, onion, mushrooms, garlic and carrots to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 teaspoon fresh thyme and marjoram and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat and let rest.
In the skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet along with the brown bits and melt completely. Add the flour slowly while stirring to incorporate the ingredients. Add the beef broth and stir until the ingredients are incorporated and start to thicken. Add seasoned browned beef, cubed potatoes, onion, garlic, carrots and bay leaves. Add more broth if too thick. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes – add bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook on the EGG for about 1-1.5 hours until the beef is tender. Check every 20 minutes or so and add more beef broth if needed. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Garnish with remaining fresh herbs.
Slice rustic bread, brush with butter, grill and serve.
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium sized red potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 8-ounce package of whole portobello mushrooms – washed and cut into slices
- 1 ½ tsp fresh or dried thyme, separated
- 1 ½ tsp fresh or dried marjoram, separated
- 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth, plus more as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter + more for the bread
- Rustic loaf of bread