CHICKEN and SEAFOOD PAELLA
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1½ cup white wine
- 2½ cups seafood or chicken stock
- 4 small chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- 1 tablespoon sweet Spanish paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large link chorizo, cut into 6-8 (1 to 1½") pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/3 cups Bomba rice
- 8 clams
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8 mussels
- 8 sea scallops
- 8 large shrimp, peeled*
- 3 Piquillo pepper slices (or small pieces of roasted red peppers), cut into thin strips
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Lemon wedges
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 30-60 minutes depending on temperature of the EGG
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 400ºF/204ºC.
- Soak saffron in wine and stock; reserve. Season both sides of chicken with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and paprika. Heat dry Big Green Egg Paella Pan for a minute on the cooking grid, then add olive oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Stir onions into the pan around chicken and when just softened, add chorizo. When beginning to sizzle, add the garlic and cook 30-60 seconds, stirring to ensure it does not burn. Then stir in rice; heat two minutes without stirring, then pour saffron-wine-stock mixture into the pan.
- With the dome closed, let the rice bubble and cook until just beginning to tenderize and some stock remains but is not soupy about 15 minutes. If soupy, continue cooking until reduced.
- Tuck clams and tomatoes into rice and cover and cook 3 minutes. Then tuck mussels, scallops, and shrimp into the mixture and cook until clams and mussels are open and scallops and shrimp are just cooked through, adding peppers and peas in the last minute of cooking time. Serve with lemon wedges.
- *If using extra large shrimp, tuck them into the pan when clams are added.