COUNTRY CHICKEN SALTIMBOCCA
Recipe courtesy of Deborah VanTrece via the 2018 Big Green Egg Lifestyle Publication
- (3) 8oz chicken breasts
- 4 C cleaned and destemmed collard greens
- 6 slices cooked applewood-smoked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
Basic Cream Sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 C half-and-half
- Reserved liquid from chicken
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 6 basil leaves
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350°F.
- Pound chicken breast until 1/4 in thick. Mix all seasoning ingredients together; coat chicken breast with 3/4 of the seasoning mix; set aside.
- Chiffonade collard greens into strips no wider than 1/4 in thick. Heat a Cast Iron Skillet with the olive oil. Add greens, then garlic and the remaining seasoning mix, cooking until wilted, 5-7 minutes.
- Lay out the chicken breasts with the interior side up. Layer each in the following order: one slice of cheese, 1/3 of the bacon crumbles, 1/3 of the cooked collards.
- The bacon and collards should be placed in a thin even layer across the whole breast.
- Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each chicken breast as you would for a jellyroll and secure with a toothpick.
- Place rolls in a roasting & drip pan, evenly spaced with room between each roll. Place the pan on the grid and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is firm.
- Remove from the EGG and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan; reserve the liquid for the sauce. Remove the convEGGtor and grill each side of the chicken for 1 minute for color and added flavor.
- Gently slice each roll into pinwheels, no less than 1/2 in wide and top with sauce.
Basil Cream Sauce Method
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Whisk flour into butter. Cook for 90 seconds once incorporated, continuously whisking.
- Slowly add half-and-half, whisking in each addition until incorporated into flour mix.
- Season to taste.
- Add the reserved chicken liquid the same way.
- Add smoked paprika and cook at a low simmer for 2 minutes, or until it's at the thickness you desire; remove from heat.
- Chiffonade basil, add to warm sauce just before serving.