CHERRY-SMOKED MUSHROOMS WITH BACON
A must try Cherry-Smoked Mushrooms with Bacon, Arugula & Walnut Oil. Because of their ability to impart a sweet yet smoky flavor, cherry chips are a great choice for smoking these rich and flavorful mushrooms. For this recipe, if large white mushrooms are not available, use your favorite mushrooms and adjust the cooking time.
- 12 large white mushrooms, gills removed (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 400ºF.
- Place 1 cup of cherry chips in a large bowl, cover with water, and let soak for 1 hour. Put the mushrooms in a large bowl, add the olive oil, toss the mushrooms in the oil until completely coated, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To make the filling, using a wooden spoon, mix the cream cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, arugula, and ¼ cup of the panko in a small bowl. Season with pepper and set aside. Cook the bacon in a Stir-Fry & Paella Pan, stirring occasionally until almost crisp. Add the garlic and shallots and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the shallots are translucent. Carefully remove from the EGG. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon mixture to the bowl of cream cheese and, using a wooden spoon, stir until completely blended.
- Fill each mushroom with 1 to 1½ tablespoons of the cream cheese filling, sprinkle the tops with 1 teaspoon of panko, place on a rimmed sheet pan, and set aside.
- To make the sauce, mix the white wine, shallots, peppercorns and bay leaf in a Stir-Fry & Paella Pan, and reduce to about 2 tablespoons. Add the cream and reduce for 4 to 5 minutes, until the cream has thickened. Remove from the heat, add the butter a little at a time, and season with lemon juice and salt. Strain and set aside.
- Remove the cooking grid, scatter the presoaked chips over the preheated charcoal and replace the grid on the EGG. When the chips begin to smoke (about 2 minutes), place the mushrooms on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a rimmed sheet pan. Spoon the butter sauce onto individual plates, set two mushrooms on each plate on top of the sauce, season with pepper, and drizzle with the walnut oil. Garnish with fresh chives and serve the Cherry-Smoked Mushrooms immediately.
The Filling Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped arugula
- ½ cup panko or bread crumbs, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces bacon, finely chopped (about 14 slices)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
The Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup sliced shallots
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup walnut oil or olive oil
- Chopped fresh chives or flat-leaf parsley for garnish