CHICKEN AND SHRIMP PAELLA
- 15 large shrimp (feel free to add clams or mussels)
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken thighs
- 8 cups (1.9 L) chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- ½ cup (120 ml) fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) fresh thyme
- 8 oz (225 g) chorizo sausages, sliced bite-size
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) tomato paste
- ½ tbsp (8 ml) paprika
- 1 cup (240 ml) olives, pitted and diced
- 3 cups (710 ml) calasparra rice
- 3 lemons, quartered
- Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 500°F/260°C.
- Peel shrimp, leaving on the tail. Lightly salt the chicken thighs and shrimp. Heat the chicken stock with saffron and herbs; keep hot but not boiling as you cook.
- Coat the bottom of a Stir-Fry & Paella Pan with olive oil. Add the pan to the cooking grid and brown the chorizo for 1 or 2 minutes; set aside. Brown the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- Sauté garlic, onion and bell pepper until softened, adding tomatoes shortly before the mixture is finished. Add the tomato paste, paprika and olives; stir in the chicken and chorizo. Add rice, mixing together and stirring one minute. When the rice is slightly translucent add enough chicken stock to cover the whole mixture and lower the EGG temperature to 375°F/191°C.
- Stir a few times in the first 10 minutes, adding broth as necessary to keep the rice fully covered. After this let the paella sit and cook another 10-20 minutes, adding broth bit by bit to keep the rice submerged until the rice on the top is al dente. Stir the paella one last time and place the shrimp on top, turning over after 2 to 4 minutes to cook on the other side. Carefully remove the paella from the EGG, cover and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 to 8.